A few months ago I had the pleasure of visiting the great little city of New Orleans. We had many great meals while there and some of you recommended that I try and recreate a few of them. It just so happens that my dad made this wonderful red beans and rice for the family a few weeks ago. It was so delicious and very similar to what we had in New Orleans so I quickly snatched up the recipe so I could make it for you guys.
You can change this according to your taste. The original recipe called for one pound of ham shank. My dad used smoked sausage in his version and I used andouille sausage in my version. I think I like my dad’s version the best.
I hope you will give it a try and ENJOY!!!!
RED BEANS AND RICE
1 lb light red kidney beans, soaked
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 lb andouille sausage
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup green onions, chopped, for garnish
1. Drain beans; discard soak water.
2. Place oil in 4 qt. pot and heat. Add onions, celery leaves and garlic. Saute until onion is tender but not browned.
3. Add beans, water, salt, pepper and Tabasco. Stir well.
4. Bury sausage in beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
5. Cook rice according to package directons.
6. Serve beans and sausage over hot rice. Top each serving with a sprinkling of green onions. Serves 4-6.
This recipe adapted from China Doll Rice & Beans Inc.