Hi everyone! This recipe was past on to me by a co-worker. She found it on facebook but it was originally found at www.allrecipes.com. She often thinks of me when she comes across wonderful recipes like this one, knowing I may want to use it in a post. This one sounded especially good. Doesn’t the name alone sound wonderful! I had to make this one right away!
The bread turned out very soft and moist with just a few hints of orange. I decided to leave out the nuts which was a huge mistake. Although it was still delicious I’m sure the nuts would have added so much more flavor and texture. This recipe makes two loaves so I should have put the nuts in one of the loaves and left them out of the other for those who can’t or don’t eat them.
So, here is the recipe. ENJOY!!!
ORANGE CREAM CHEESE BREAD
1 8oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c shortening
1 2/3 c granulated sugar
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 c milk
1/2 c chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp orange zest
1/4 c orange juice
1. Combine cream cheese and shortening, creaming well.
2. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
4. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
5. Stir in walnuts and orange peel.
6. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
7. Bake at 375F for 55 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then sprinkle orange juice over loaves. Remove to wire racks to finish cooling.